MTS Connected Approved
Easy to Use
For all Vehicle Classes
Tests Service and Hand Brake
Suitable for ABS-equipped vehicles
Portable Printer Available
Download Data to PC
Optional built-in GPS receiver
The BrakeCheck is our portable, DVSA-approved brake tester and a DVSA MTS (MOT Testing System) approved device.
The Bowmonk BrakeCheck is a fully self-contained, user-friendly, portable brake tester, used by workshops, government traffic authorities and Authorised Test Facilities (ATF’s) around the world to record the braking efficiency and percentage of braking imbalance of all classes of vehicle from a Motorcycle to an HGV, in a matter of minutes.
The BrakeCheck is also approved by the DVSA for performing the quarterly voluntary brake tests now required as part of the interim safety inspections.
The Bowmonk BrakeCheck determines braking efficiency of both the Service Brake (Foot Brake) and Hand Brake by measuring the rate of deceleration from a speed of around 20 mph until the vehicle comes to rest. BrakeCheck is available in a variant which can also measure the brake efficiency of the Secondary Brake.
Designed to be self-compensating, the instrument will indicate on the LED screen when it is positioned level enough to perform a brake test, with a generous tolerance to ensure that this is easy to achieve.
The unit indicates whether the vehicle pulls to the left or right during braking.
Test results can be viewed on the display panel or downloaded to a PC for saving or printing. A printed report can also be produced at the time of testing using the portable infra-red printer. Please see the BrakeCheck Accessories page for more information.
The device operates on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack and will power-down after a period of inactivity to conserve energy.
As an optional feature, BrakeCheck can include a built-in GPS receiver, with the latitude and longitude of the brake test location being printed on the receipt.
Product variants for different vehicle types
The BrakeCheck is available in a number of variants which cover all common and specialist vehicle types, including:
BOW801 BrakeCheck Standard for measuring Service, Handbrake tests
BOW801S BrakeCheck with Secondary Test – for measuring Service, Hand and Secondary brake performance
BOW801L BrakeCheck FLT – for forklift trucks
BOW803 BrakeCheck 99 with 99 stored test results
BOW803G BrakeCheck Geo as above but with GPS facility to locational testing results
BOW812 BrakeCheck4Quarries – for quarry and plant vehicles
BOW820 BrakeCheck TT – for displaying separate results for truck and trailer brake efficiencies
– 3-Axis Accelerometer
– Measures Peak Deceleration Front/Rear
– Measures Average Deceleration Front/Rear
– Measures Peak Acceleration Left/Right
– Vehicle pulls Left/Right indication and value
– Calculates Brake Efficiency
– Calculates Stopping Distance (displayed in metres or, by special request, feet)
– Calculates Test Speed (displayed in km/h or, by special request, mph)
– Can be used for Hand Brake Test
– Audio Signal
– Measures Ambient Temperature in °C and °F
– For BrakeCheck Geo only:
– Built-in GPS receiver
– Latitude and longitude of the brake test finish point are stated on the print-out
– GPS facility can be enabled or disabled as required by the user. When enabled, the brake test cannot be started until a GPS fix is obtained.
– LED indicating GPS status, one of the following:
– GPS disabled
– Searching for GPS fix
– GPS fix obtained & ready for test
– Please note that BrakeCheck Geo is not currently compatible with CabCheckS software for downloading results to a PC.
– Battery charger supplied, with appropriate plug for destination country
– Operates for approximately 5 hours or approximately 120 tests on full charge
– Can be used after 5 minutes of charging
– Battery charge indicator
– Automatic level compensation
– Simple LED indicator system
– Easy to use
– “Calibration Required” indicator
– Three digit readout
– Display can be read in sunlight
– Internal self-diagnostics
– Test results are stated in ‘g’ units and are accurate to +/- 0.01g (results can be stated in m/s² by special request)
– Size: 170 x 80 x 35 mm
– Weight: 0.4kg
– Range of accessories available
The full range of accessories for the BrakeCheck are shown here.
BOW805 – Portable Wireless Printer
BOW813 – Carry Case With Foam Insert
BOW810 – BCPrint Software